Transfers from Kavala airport (KVA)
Kavala, the capital and main port of the Kavala prefecture is amphitheatrically built on the slopes of Mt. Symvolo forming one of the most picturesque cities in Greece. The city’s breeze sweeps through its historic buildings, which perfectly reflect the city’s modern character.
Neapoli, Chrysoupoli, Kavala: according to archaeological finds, the city’s history dates back to the Prehistoric times. Initially the city’s core was restricted to the district of Panayia, which has been uninterruptedly inhabited since the 7th century BC. After 2500 years though, at the beginning of the 16th century, Kavala expanded maintaining these new borders until 1870; it was only after 1928 that it began to shape its today structure. Its strategic and economic importance over the centuries is attributed to its strategic position in Via Egnatia, which traversed the city connecting East and West, to its port and to the natural fortification of the peninsula, on which the old city was built.
Seven important buildings
- Tokos Hall (1879). The residence of tobacco farmer D. Tokos which had hosted the consulate of Italy for two years (1879-80) and features Ottoman, Neoclassical and Baroque elements. Today it is the seat of the 12th Department of Byzantine Antiquities.
- The old Girls’ School, a neoclassical building, which today houses the 10th Primary School.
- Megali Lesxi (Big Club), (1910). A neoclassical mansion that now houses the Municipal Library.
- The City Hall (1890), the former residence of the Hungarian tobacco trader Pierre Herzog.
- Wix Hall (1898-1900), which used to be the residence of the German Baron Adolf Wix von Zsolna until 1925. From 1989 on it houses the municipal authorities.
- The Catholic Mission (1888-92), a building that housed the French consulate as well as a school of French language.
- The Municipal Tobacco Warehouse (built around 1900) featuring Ottoman, Neoclassical and Baroque elements.
Available destinations from Kavala airport (KVA)
- Golden Beach
- Kavala Town
- Limenas (Thassos)
- Porto Lagos
- Potos Inc Ferrry
- Skala Rachoni Inc Ferry
- Skala Prino Inc Ferry
- Skala Potamias Inc Ferry
- Thasos Inc Ferry